Pages

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

A successful trip

Just back from Las Vegas, celebrating my dad's 70th birthday. Had a great time, visiting with family (my sister and her family flew in too).
My plan for the 5 days was to eat as clean as possible and walk a lot. Well, overall, I succeeded on both fronts.
I blistered my feet (sandals and I don't get along) and my eating was pretty good. Three meals a day with no snacks as my meals were bigger than normal. When I did need a snack I bought an orange or a yogurt. I tried hard not to finish the portion of food served to me. I can't believe how big the portions are in the US. I hear about it on the news all the time and figured there would not be that big of a difference from here in Canada, but wow. My husband and I even shared a breakfast one morning because the portion was so big.
Anyway, got on the scale when I got back and was almost exactly the same. Then, this morning I got on the scale again and I am down almost a pound from when I left. WOW. I don't think I have ever stayed the same on vacation. I am very proud of myself. I had a plan, and I stuck to it.
For lunch one day I ordered salad with crab. Another day, I ordered sliced pork with some rice and soup. For dinner one day, I ordered halibut with veggies. Another, we went to a steakhouse and I ordered the smallest steak on the menu (a petit filet at 8oz) and some peas. The peas were swimming in butter but overall a much better choice than what I would have made in the past.
I had gained a little weight in the week before I left and that is slowly coming back off, so I'll report the official weigh-in tomorrow. I expect I will still be up a little but I am totally back on track and will kick it this week.
Another thing I am learning about is how my body reacts to sugar. I always knew that I was sugar sensitive. My doctor told me when I was in college that I was probably hypoglycemic. I have never been tested for that specifically, but the fact that I get migraines if I go too long without food probably confirms it. My fasting glucose test has always been normal and my doctor even did the three month blood test which was also normal, so I am thankfully not diabetic, but boy does my body react badly to sugar. Had a craving for sweet last night and our calories for the day were pretty low, so Hubby and I had some frozen yogurt with a small piece of chocolate cake. We definitely had more than we should and it was almost 11 at night and boy was I sick last night. I slept really poorly and was woken at 3am feeling nauseus and unwell. I think that happens to me only when I have sugar. Also, I was away 5 days, in a strange place, with a time change and long flights and I had no headaches. No Migraines, No Headaches, no nothing. I was so happy I could not beleive it. Then last night, I had sugar and this morning, bang, a headache. Not a bad one, but definitely there.
My sister has been bugging me for a while that my migraines are probably food triggered and she wants me to get that checked out. Then Lynn over at Escape from Obesity blogged that when she cut out sugar completely her migraines went away. I really didn't think that could be possible, that mine weren't sugar related at all. Now, I am not so sure. I definitely get them for other reasons as well (hormones mostly) but maybe some are sugar related. I will have to pay closer attention to that and see.
It's good to be back, looking forward to catching up on all of the blogs I follow. Looking forward to a great week.
I will do this, I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment